When it’s insanely hot out, the last thing you want to do is get even hotter. And that applies to bedroom too: Steamy, sweaty sex is basically out of rotation until temperatures dip, which is a serious bummer for everyone involved.
Jessica O'Reilly, Ph.D., Astroglide's resident sexologist, says there’s more at play here than just feeling overheated. If you’re hot and sweaty at night, you may not sleep well—and that can cause your sex drive to dip, she says. And, if you’re not working out as much (because who wants to run in an oven?), it can also cause your libido to drop.
And then there’s the fact that you’re probably not feeling your hottest when you’re covered in sweat… .(sex advice)
Luckily, you don’t have to totally take sex off the table when it’s hot as hell out—you just have to get creative.
O’Reilly offers up a bunch of tips for how to stay cool while you’re having sex:
1. Do it on a slip ‘n slide: Obviously this involves the need for either (1) a private backyard or (2) total darkness, but getting frisky on a slip in slide provides sexy new pose options and keeps you hosed down—double win.
2. Whip out a kiddie pool: …and then whip off your clothes. This also has an advantage over the slip ‘n slide: You can do it (literally) on a balcony as well.
3. Keep it pretty hands-off: The more body parts that touch, the hotter you’re going to feel, so stand up and have your partner enter you from behind, so only the middle of your bodies are in direct contact.
4. Experiment with ice: Frozen grapes, chilled champagne, and popsicles are a great way to spice up oral, while keeping your cool. You can also lick an ice cube before licking your partner’s body to keep you both feeling refreshed.
5. Be a fan: Bring out a portable fan and use it on your S.O., who just lies there, to set the tone. Plus, people who give are more likely to receive… .